Thing 2 Autumnal New Beginnings

Autumn is definitely here. Yesterday myself and my two year old listened to the loud roaring of the wind in the sycamore on the drive. Looking up at the multi-coloured leaves I was reminded about an idea I had to use autumn leaves in the toddler funtime I run in the library. I love the fact that my profession lends itself to acting on ideas that I have while going for a walk at home. I love the fact that I enjoy my job so much that I think about it even when I am not at work. We will collect leaves on Wednesday so we can make leaf crowns in the library on Thursday.
I am always thinking of new ways of getting people to engage with the library. Autumn seems a good time to run evening events for adults and I decided to run a monthly board game night and see how it goes. So I am in the early stages of planning and advertising it. I like the excitement and anticipation of planning an event and the fact that you have to put it out there in the world and see what happens. How will it turn out? Will anyone even turn up? Obviously I can help it on the way with well-placed marketing and talking to people about it and nice posters. I was lucky also that a member of the public spotted that I was running a computer gaming night recently for teens and came in to talk about the possibility of running a board game event in the library. We were both thinking the same thing so he is going to help me run the opening night. He has a collection of new generation games that he will bring along as well as friends that will bring their games and help people learn to play them on the night. It has worked out well as I am not that familiar with the new generation of games at all so him being on board is just what we need. The posters are up and the fliers are on the library desk and it is encouraging that people are curious about it and taking them with them. So as the leaves continue to fall and the nights get longer I am looking forward to the coming weeks to see how this new event goes.

Comments

  1. Such a nice post Samantha, poetic! I want a leaf crown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Niamh. They had fun making them and they looked so cute on their heads.

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of a games night in the library, please blog how it went. I play loads of board games so if you need suggestions let me know.

    https://johnthecaptainryan.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. It went well, exlpoding kittens I think was the main game. Lots of confused faces but lots of giggles. What you like playing?

      Delete

Post a Comment